Please review the following guidelines and agree below to proceed to the scheduling page.
GFJ Library Meeting Room Policy
The meeting room policy of the George F. Johnson Memorial Library encourages maximum use of the library meeting rooms (the Beatrice Scott and the George F. Johnson rooms) by community organizations for educational, civic, cultural and/or business purposes under the following conditions:
- Library related activities/programs/meetings have priority scheduling of the two meeting rooms.
- Because the Library is intended for the use of all members of the public, all meetings are open to the public. This means that the meeting must be open to any interested individuals and must be free of charge. Limits may be placed on the size of the group if the room capacity is exceeded. The library also endorses Article VI of the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights, which states: “Libraries which make exhibit spaces and meeting rooms available to the public they serve should make such facilities available on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use.” Business groups should not be conducting business on library premises, but are welcome for more general business-oriented purposes, subject to interpretation by the Library Director. Private social events are not permitted.
- There is a $15.00 suggested donation for use of the library meeting rooms.
- The library reserves the right to limit the number of times a group may use the room during a given period of time, in order to assure a fair opportunity to all potential users. Community groups should register online and book the room using the library’s online booking system. The person placing the room request will be notified by library staff once a decision on their request has been made. Library events have priority and the library reserves the right to cancel advance reservations in favor of library programming with 30 days notice.
- Meeting times are limited to hours when the library is open to the public. All meetings must
adjourn at least 15 minutes prior to the closing of the library. The representatives of the organization that is meeting are responsible for ending the meeting on time and for leaving the meeting room in proper order. If damage occurs to any library property during an organizational meeting, the organization will be held liable for repair or replacement costs.
- Alcohol, smoking and open flames are NOT permitted in the meeting rooms and refreshments may be served only by special permission from the Library Director.
- Study Rooms may be booked using our online booking system. They will only be held 10 minutes after scheduled time of reservation, at which time they may go to the next request.
Adopted 3/08. Revised 7/21/16, 11/20/18, 1/16/20
Instructions for GFJ Library Meeting Room Use
Welcome! Please check in at the Adult Information Desk before your meeting. Return to the Adult Information Desk after your meeting to check out. Also, we ask that you adhere to the following guidelines when you are using any of our meeting rooms:
- If you will be using anything such as paints, crayons, etc. that may cause damage to the tables, bring something to cover them.
- Before leaving, please make sure that all tables and chairs are arranged as you found them.
- Check the room after your meeting to make sure that your group has not dropped, spilled, or left anything behind. Please report any spills or accidents to the Adult Information Desk as soon as possible.
- Refreshments are permitted at the discretion of the Library Director. If refreshments have been served, please make sure no food or spills are left behind.
- Garbage and recycling should be placed in the appropriate receptacles.
Do you need to use the library’s technology equipment? (Smart Board, laptop, etc.)
- Please ask the staff member at the Adult Information Desk for help when you check in before your meeting.
- Do not write on the SmartBoard with anything other than the correct markers which will be provided to you if you request them.