Welcome to the GFJ Tech Center!
- We offer virtual classes and information to continue strengthening your tech skills. You can participate in live, online workshops as well as our self-paced, on-demand classes. As always, all of the Tech Center’s classes are free. Look below for some of our new offerings!
- If you are looking for additional tech assistance, click on the Virtual Tech Help button above or click here to learn more about Virtual Tech Help!
- Stay in the loop! Click here to view our latest e-newsletter or enter your email address below to subscribe.
Live Online Workshops
Our live, online workshops include screen sharing, instructor audio, and chat. You will be able to follow along and ask questions in each class, which is led by Tech Center staff. To participate in a workshop, click on a class below or visit tinyurl.com/GFJTC-class.
- Free Podcasts! Finding, Subscribing and Listening – May 26th at 3:00pm
Have you wondered about the “podcast craze”. This is your chance to find out what it is all about. We will cover all the basics of finding, subscribing and listening to a podcast. Examples of today’s most popular podcasts will be presented along with tips on finding podcasts that you will love. You can listen to podcasts anywhere, anytime. If you subscribe the newest episodes will automatically be downloaded to your device. I will also share with you the podcast that got me “hooked”! You might want to give it a try.
- Google Drive Tips and Tricks – June 2nd at 3:00pm
Google Drive provides free office tools and a powerful storage system to keep everything organized and searchable. Log in to learn how to easily create documents, spreadsheets, presentations and more, and keep them neatly stored and readily available. This is not an introductory class, but will provide some tips and tricks that will make using Google Drive easier and more efficient!
- Google Photos and Photo Storage Alternatives – June 9th at 3:00pm
Google Photos is an easy way to keep photos safe and organized, and to free up space on your phone. However, now that all photos count toward your Google Account Storage, perhaps it’s time to look at other photo storage sites. After an introduction to Google Photos, this presentation will look at Amazon Prime Photos, Flickr, Dropbox and iCloud comparing the benefits and drawbacks of each.
- Streaming Service Wars – Your Questions Answered – June 11th at 3:00pm
The future of entertainment is upon us, and movie studios, TV stations, and other entertainment businesses are fighting to get your money by creating their own streaming services. Learn what a streaming service is and how to access their content as well as who the top competitors are in the war on entertainment. The cord cutting era has now become the streaming wars!
- iPad/iPhone-Basics for the New User – June 23rd at 3:00pm
This workshop is for new iPad/iPhone users. Learn how to navigate, install and organize apps. Discover some useful options in the Settings app which will allow you to personalize your device. Find out what your Control Panel can do. Participants will be encouraged to ask questions through the online chat feature. The generic tips and tricks that will be presented will help you be more productive using your iPad or iPhone. Please make sure your device is updated to iOS 14.5.1.
- Researching Your Family Tree for Beginners – June 30th at 3:00pm
Are you interested in researching your family tree, but do not know where to start? Without spending a dime, you can explore Ancestry, the world’s most popular consumer online genealogy resource and FamilySearch, an all-free genealogy website, with more than 7 billion global, name-searchable records. This workshop will present an overview of each site and offer tips on how to navigate through the different sections. Users can search the U.S. Census records, Social Security records, birth and death records, immigration records, military and other vital records. This workshop is targeted to BEGINNERS.
You can also click here to view some frequently asked questions about our live classes.
On-Demand Virtual Learning
We’re excited to offer these free, online classes that you can work through at your own pace. Click on any of the images or subjects below to start exploring.
- Online Resources – The library’s available resources including local history, learning tools, databases for research, and free downloadable materials including eBooks, audiobooks, magazines, and more!
- Employment Resources – Many great resources for those seeking employment.
- eBook & eReader Information – Instructions for downloading eBooks and audiobooks to popular mobile devices with the OverDrive or Libby apps. Use your library card and PIN number to sign in, and begin checking out today!