Welcome to the GFJ Tech Center!
We offer virtual classes, information, and assistance to help you strengthen your tech skills. All of the Tech Center’s classes are free. Look below for our offerings! If you have questions, you can call us at (607) 757-5359 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tech Center Info
- Live Online Workshops – You can find our current schedule of workshops below. Visit tinyurl.com/GFJTC-class at the time of the class to participate.
- Tech Help By Appointment, Tuesdays in October from 11am-1pm – Registration is required for a 15-minute session with Tech Center staff member to help with your technology issues. Click here for appointment scheduling and availability. You can also call or email the Tech Center for more information.
- On-Demand Virtual Learning – These are online classes that you can work through at your own pace. Click here to view our entire collection of on-demand classes and get started today!
- Virtual Tech Help – Looking for assistance with your technology or devices? Click here to get started with Virtual Tech Help!
- E-newsletter – Stay in the loop! Click here to view our latest e-newsletter or enter your email address below to subscribe.
Live Online Workshops
These workshops include screen sharing, instructor audio, and chat. You will be able to follow along and ask the Tech Center staff questions during the workshop. Click here to view frequently asked questions about our live classes. To participate in a workshop, visit tinyurl.com/GFJTC-class at the time of the class.
- Fact or False? How Can We Know if What We Read Online is True?– Thursday 9/30 from 3:00
Anyone can post information on the Internet, but how can we tell what is true, and what is a scam? this class will explore and discuss tips and tools that we can use to help verify information on the Internet, and to help us become more discerning readers. you will be able to follow along and ask questions.
- Top Ten Ways to Use your Smart Speaker with Alexa – Wednesday 10/6 at 3:00
Alexa is a voice assistant that is available on Amazon Echo devices as well as many third-party devices. Join us as we explore the Alexa app, the mastermind behind your devices. Knowing how to use and customize the Alexa app will help you make the most of your virtual assistant. Set up your Alex smart speaker to play music and podcasts, read books, turn on lights and recite the latest news plus do many more skills that are linked to the Alexa app.
- What Should I Read Next? How to Find your Next Great Read – Thursday 10/14 at 3:00
This presentation is for anyone who has ever finished a book and faced the problem of not knowing what to read next. Together we will explore websites, apps, printed lists and more that will not only help us find our Next Great Read, but let us keep track of books that we have read or want to read, and to share the best ones with friends.
- eCoupons, Rebates and More! Save Money When You Shop! – Thursday, 10/21 at 3:00
Paper coupons and store flyers are disappearing, and apps are taking their place. There are hundreds of terrific, free apps that are easy to use and that will help you save money every time you shop. Log in to learn how to use digital coupons, store ads, rebates and comparison shopping on your phone to make shopping easier and save you time too.
- Browser Tips: Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge – Wednesday 10/27 at 3:00
Thanks to the internet, a browser such as Chrome or Microsoft Edge is one of the most used programs on our computers, but many people don’t really understand browsers. Find out how to get the most out of your browser with a few simple tricks. We’ll cover settings, tabs, special features and bookmarks in the Chrome and Microsoft Edge browser. Tune in and improve your browsing skills.
- Online Resources – The library’s available resources including local history, learning tools, databases for research, and free downloadable materials including eBooks, audiobooks, magazines, and more!
- Employment Resources – Many great resources for those seeking employment.
- eBook & eReader Information – Instructions for downloading eBooks and audiobooks to popular mobile devices with the OverDrive or Libby apps. Use your library card and PIN number to sign in, and begin checking out today!